.

Candidate a No Show at Event, Says He Wasn't Invited

The organizer of the Men's Breakfast accuses selectmen candidate Paul Buckley of avoiding the event at the advice of three sitting selectmen.

Attendees at the Men's Breakfast on Thursday at  in Seekonk only got to meet one of the two candidates on the ballot in this month's special selectmen election. Candidate Paul Buckley said he wasn't there because he didn't receive an invitation. Event organizer Don Kinniburgh theorized Buckley was advised by three current selectmen not to attend.

Kinniburgh, a former selectman and veterans agent as well as an admitted supporter of Buckley's opponent Nelson Almeida, said he sent an email to Buckley about the event and invited him in person during last week's selectmen meeting. He said Buckley told him he would be there. Buckley told Seekonk Patch this didn't happen.

"I think maybe the three kings talked him out of it," Kinniburgh said. "Nine years I've been doing it, and we invite the candidates in for an informational session. It's not a debate, it's an opportunity for the older people to ask some questions and it is no pressure on anybody."

He added, "Seems to be a trend with Mr. Buckley not wanting to show up to these events," referring to Buckley's  last month's debate hosted by the Seekonk Concerned Citizens because he said the "organization has no credibility" and the debate organizer David Saad is a man "known as someone with an agenda."

When asked who the "three kings" are, Kinniburgh said they are "the three selectmen that come out with letters to the editor backing Paul Buckley."

It appears he was referring to Gary Sagar, Bob McLintock and Francis Cavaco, but only one of those three men has written a letter to  in support of Buckley. Cavaco noted this in an email to Patch after being informed of Kinniburgh's accusation.

"I never sent a letter to the editor, nor will I, for a person who is running for office," Cavaco wrote. "I want Don to come up with the letter with my name on it saying that I am backing Paul Buckley. We live in America. Tell that to Don!"

Buckley told Patch he never received the email invitation Kinniburgh says he sent. Kinniburgh told him "about an email" at last week's selectmen meeting, but he never specified what it was, Buckley said.

Kinniburgh forwarded Patch a copy of what appears to be an email invitation sent Sept. 1 to Buckley. Patch cannot confirm if the email is authentic or if Buckley received it.

As for Kinniburgh's statement about selectmen writing letters in favor of Buckley's campaign, Buckley said there is nothing wrong with that happening.

"It's not unusual for a selectman to support other candidates," Buckley said. "Carol Bragg did that before she quit and she supported [Michael] Brady/[Bob] Richardson in well-documented letters to the editor."

Election Day is Sept. 24. The winner of the contest, which also includes write-in candidate Jeffrey Starr Mararian, will fill the selectmen seat made vacant in June by . 

paul September 14, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I don't blame him for not showing. Men's Breakfast? No girls allowed? Only political hacks, ex-selectmen, and town wanabees. This special election could not be over soon enough.
Emcee of Seekonk September 14, 2012 at 11:10 AM
Listen up children, the Men's Breakfast is a COA monthly event where a handful of old friends meet to discuss the past. The girls don't attend because they've heard the stories many, many times. Chances are, most of these people know who Paul Buckley is. This would appear to be more an opportunity for Nelson Almeida to become known. He's the new guy. So all's well that ends well. Paul didn't need to show up and Nelson did. No problem. Ten days until September 24th.
deb of see-attleboro September 14, 2012 at 12:41 PM
According to the Town website, the COA's monthly Men's Breakfast is held on the second Wednesday of each month at Brother's Seafood in Briarwood Plaza. According to this article, Don Kinniburgh is the event organizer and there is no mention of the COA. .Not then any of this matters. What matters is the rhetoric coming out of Mr Almeida and his supporters. I'm with paul. I can't wait for this to be over. Win or lose, I congratulate Mr Buckley for not sinking to the level of the Almeida camp.
paul September 14, 2012 at 01:08 PM
Jonathan, this scoop & headline look politically motivated, say it's not so.
Jonathan Friedman (Editor) September 14, 2012 at 03:05 PM
It's not so.
Jonathan Friedman (Editor) September 14, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Deb, Mr. K. told me this was the same men's breakfast. Perhaps they alter the location.
Dave Abbott September 14, 2012 at 03:49 PM
What does it say about a campaign that has placed the main focus on respect and being positive, when all of the negativity is coming from that direction?
Carol Bragg September 14, 2012 at 04:17 PM
Deb: The Men's Breakfast is an activity of Seekonk Human Services. There was also a Women's Breakfast, but I believe it has been discontinued because of lack of interest.
Carol Bragg September 14, 2012 at 04:24 PM
I just spoke to the senior secretary at Human Services. The location was just changed about 3 weeks ago, because Brothers is not longer able to accommodate the group. She also said she left a detailed message for Mr. Buckley and asked him to confirm attendance but never heard back.
deb of see-attleboro September 14, 2012 at 05:29 PM
At this point, it seems like we have the lesser of two evils to choose from. I hope Mr Buckley is working quietly, yet diligently to gain voter confidence. Cause right now it ain't lookin' too good. I may just sit this one out. Or maybe Jeffrey will be handing out little stickers for the ballot. We could do worse. There is no way I am voting for Nelson.
peteandchrissy@comcast.net September 14, 2012 at 06:38 PM
Deb: well Attleboro has a 18.5% increase of Violent Crimes and a .09% increase ln 2011 to Spousal Abuse Calls! Stick to Attleboro! And every election has a breakfast for certain genders (Michele Obama had it for the League of women voters). Everyone from Madonna to Cher had a meeting for "Women for change to America" (let me take a shot..you were not invited to that either?) EVERY POLITION KNOWS THAT THERE IS A MEETING OR A DEBATE! Imagine Romney Showing up but Obama stated "Hell I have a 54% Lead with a lead in Florida, Why Show? Michele was not aware of it?
Emcee of Seekonk September 14, 2012 at 06:39 PM
I can see where you are coming from... skip the whole thing and let the votes fall as they may. It appears we have two factions, supporters of the three Mr. K. refers to (two of which will never see my vote) and the 'others' of dubious intentions. There is just one good thing to remind ourselves of. Whoever wins will be serving out the rest of Mr. Rice's term. Maybe two years or less? We will soon get a chance to see whether we ever want to re-elect them. How did Seekonk ever get in this mess?
peteandchrissy@comcast.net September 14, 2012 at 06:45 PM
I noticed several shots at a canidate that showed up for a Meeting? Well I just changed my Mind, I was Buckley now all these shots on here made me change my families mind. I will give this Almeida a Shot. Why not, I am a Democrate I can Vote for change.
deb of see-attleboro September 14, 2012 at 07:03 PM
I know who I blame. But I will leave it there.
deb of see-attleboro September 14, 2012 at 07:07 PM
It's a crap shoot. I'll stay home and help make it an easy day for the TC.
paul September 14, 2012 at 08:51 PM
I'm a Democrat, and I already voted for change several times. Change has not come! If you change your mind because of what is said on Patch about an old mans breakfast (most of them from Rehoboth) then I guess these threads really do have pull. Buckley has lived in town his whole life, Almeida only a few years. Paul is smart enough not to walk into a minefield, nothing wrong with that.
deb of see-attleboro September 14, 2012 at 09:13 PM
paul: I agree with you. But I cannot tolerate lying. If Mr Buckley did not want to go for the legitimate reasons you mentioned, I am ok with that. I gave the guy credit when he spelled out why he did not want to do Saad's forum. I don't think any candidate should be "on demand". According to this article, Mr Buckley claims he was not invited. Sources suggest otherwise. Mr Buckley can issue a statement to clarify. Or not. It is his call. He contributes to Patch. How 'bout it, Mr B?
Paul Buckley September 15, 2012 at 01:58 AM
I have reviewed the latest responses to this article and would like to express my appreciation for everyone’s interest and efforts in this matter. In regards to Mr. Kinniburgh, it is unfortunate that he decided to communicate with me using an e-mail address that had not been used by me in 5 years, since my employer changed their domain name. I was made aware this today when shown a copy of the e-mail by Mr. Friedman. As a member of the Republican Town Committee Mr. Kinniburgh could have used my RTC e-mail address, seekonkrepublicans@yahoo.com, which is used by most of our members. After investigating the matter about the message from the COA staff person, I discovered that the message went to my home telephone on September 4th. Almost exclusively, any person wishing to speak with me, including Mr. Kinniburgh, calls me on my cell phone. My land line is rarely used by anyone calling me or members of my family. Consequently messages are rarely checked on the land line. The person calling me from the COA obviously would not have known that. Clearly I own this part and need to make more of an effort to check our land line more frequently. In the future I can be reached on my cell phone and will provide that number to the COA on Monday.
Paul Buckley September 15, 2012 at 02:10 AM
continued In regards to attending the meeting itself I can only offer the following: I will be honest; I have been down staff for some time. Had I been aware of the breakfast sooner, I may have been able to make some arrangements with my employer to attend the breakfast. But given the timing, it was not possible to make those arrangements. In conclusion, regardless of the missteps of this event, I never indicated to Mr. Kinniburgh that I would attend the meeting. I am open to more questions relating this and other issues relating to my campaign. I would prefer that they be posted on my blog since I am notified immediately when a comment is made. Sincerely, Paul Buckley
Joe September 15, 2012 at 02:39 AM
Now the excuses start. Keep them coming Mr Buckley.
Michael Davis September 15, 2012 at 03:07 AM
Joe, what excuses did you read? If anything, Buckley is being too nice. The article states Kinniburgh is an "admitted supporter of Buckley's opponent Nelson Almeida." Why should Buckley show up to an event hosted by the man? Smells like a setup to me.
paul September 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM
What Buckley posted sounds honest to me, I listen to my home machine about once a month. Don Kinniburgh started this nonsense by 'theorizing' to the Patch. Anyone with any sense can now see how Nelson Almeida is going to act if elected. Do we want more childish behavior? Do we need more games? Do Seekonk a favor, vote for Paul Buckley or don't vote at all.
Emcee of Seekonk September 15, 2012 at 11:29 AM
Admittedly, the excuses seem to be one too many, but for me, just the fact that the Buckley had to rearrange his work schedule for a breakfast meeting is all the excuse he needed. There is a 'Meet the Candidates' show on Cable 9 running over and over again which features the two candidates. That should be enough. And is enough. How either of these men will get along with other members of the BOS, how they will interact with those whose step up to the podium, how they will decide controversial issues, we can't really tell until we see them in action. My suggestion is that we should just forget that the Mens' Breakfact ever occurred and move on.
Paul Buckley September 15, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Good Morning Deb, If my opponent’s campaign wants to declare victory because of this then that is OK. I’ve been there before in the heat of battle and everything is fair in politics. The voters will decide soon which candidate put their best foot forward. And I believe the well informed will make the right decision. Paul
deb of see-attleboro September 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I have yet to watch the "Meet the Candidates". Maybe that program will bring me to the polls. But as I stated before, I will NOT be voting for NA. The next ten days are all that matter. I know it's not easy, but please continue being the "adult in the room".
Paul Buckley September 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Deb, I would strongly recommend that you and others watch the debate on TV9. Or copy this link to go their Video on Demand page. http://tv9seekonk.com/vod.php The programs are listed under today's schedule. Click view. I also recommend watching my opponent’s infomercial and Bill Rice's interview show "Inside Seekonk" These programs will not be viewable online if you own a Mac. Paul
Portsmouth Senior Citizen September 15, 2012 at 04:15 PM
Cheap shot Mr. Kinniburg. How I wish I was back living in Seekonk - Paul you sure would have my vote and would be proud to campaign on your behalf. Listen up Seekonk, The Members of Seekonk Concern Citizens are going to ruin you all and this will be true should you vote for SCC Member Nelson Almeida. Nelson will be a puppet for the SCC. Portsmouth is in a mess, elected officials in the Town Council are MEMBERS OF PCC. Portsmouth taxpayers are paying for this now and there is more to come. Voters of Portsmouth are feed up and cannot wait to vote these individuals out of office. November cannot come fast enough. Seekonk voters, it is up to you as YOU control the election outcome. Do not sit back and just watch/listen, go out and vote. Do not allow this Organization (SCC) and its members to control you destiny.
Portsmouth Senior Citizen September 15, 2012 at 04:16 PM
Mr. Buckley - As the Chair of RTC how can one of your members, Mr. Kinniburgh (Republican) support/campaign for Mr. Almeida (Democrat). Is this true? If true, what a clap in the face to you and all members of RTC.
Paul Buckley September 15, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Hi PSC, Thanks for your comments. If you still talk to friends in town please give me a nice plug. Also, it is true about Mr. Kinniburgh supporting my opponent. I have known Mr. Kinniburgh for almost 11 years and I was surprised with his decision. Yet, this is the behavior when people get involved and pick sides for agenda purposes. I am fine with it since it is part of the game, but I will tell you I will not trust him anymore. Paul
Portsmouth Senior Citizen September 16, 2012 at 03:55 AM
Paul - I will be in your town next weekend. Attending a get together with about 50+ individuals - all Seekonk taxpayers too (my friends). Could not have planned this any better – only days before the election. To vote for the man who is honest and with integrity. I know for I am an X Seekonk Taxpayer. Take care, my friend.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something