A half-dozen residents were displaced from their homes early Tuesday morning after a 3-alarm fire ripped through an apartment building on West St.
Attleboro Fire Deputy Eric Guillette said the fire, which started in the kitchen of a bottom-floor apartment at approximately 6:10, took approximately two hours to fully put out.
Of the six residents displaced, four were assisted by the Red Cross, according to spokesperson Ashley Studley. The other two declined assistance, she said.
Volunteers provided one person with emergency temporary shelter at a hotel, and funds for food, clothing and shoes, Studley said. The three other residents were provided with emergency funds for food, clothing and shoes. They had another place to stay. All four individuals were given comfort kits, which include toiletries.
Guillette said two firefighters suffered minor injuries and were taken to the hospital. One suffered from heat exhaustion and the other suffered a minor burn to the face.
Guillette said the cause could likely be attributed to a curtain behind the stove of the bottom-floor apartment, which caught fire and spread to the remainder of the complex. "Extensive damage" was the result. Guillette estimated "a few hundred thousand" dollars worth of damage.
Two shifts assisted in putting down the fire and the Red Cross is helping the affected residents, Guillette said.