1. Today is Columbus Day, and that means there are plenty of closures (public schools, libraries, city/town halls, banks). If you have the day off, enjoy it.
2. An interesting item appears on this week's agenda for the Seekonk Board of Selectmen. Item B under Board of Selectmen Liaison Reports and Comments states "Chairman to discuss professionalism of Sun Chronicle freelance reporter Joe Siegel." This has led to some talk among political observers. It should make for an interesting meeting. The session will take place Wednesday at Town Hall, beginning at 6 p.m.
3. Are you interested in the financial health of the Attleboro city government? Be sure to attend the City Council meeting tomorrow when Mayor Kevin Dumas and city budget director Barry LaCasse will make a presentation on the first quarter of this fiscal year. It does not appear the council will take any public comment, but at least you will get to listen. The meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.
4. You might not be speaking at the council meeting, but here on Attleboro Patch, we'll let you talk (or write) all you want. Besides posting in the comments section of articles, you can also write a blog, post an announcement or tell everybody about an upcoming event.
5. The National Weather Service's daytime forecast calls for mostly sunny skies and a high near 59. At night, there is a 50 percent chance of rain (mainly after 11 p.m.) and cloudy skies are predicted. The expected low is 46.