You may have noticed that the temperature has gone down significantly in recent days. Winter has arrived. There are many reasons to enjoy winter, and one is the food. Here is a quinoa casserole that will warm your taste buds while it's cold outside. Not only does it taste good, it's also good for you.
This recipe comes from Lindsey Smith, a certified health coach who writes for Dormont-Brookline Patch in Pennsylvania.
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 red pepper, diced large
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Prepare quinoa as directed. Use the vegetable broth instead of water.
3. Once sweet potatoes, peppers, and onions are prepared, toss them in a bowl with olive oil and salt and pepper.
4. Add vegetable mixture into a casserole dish and cook for 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
5. Once the quinoa is cooked, remove from heat and add the black beans and cumin. Set to the side and cover.
6. Once the vegetables are tender, remove from oven. Add quinoa to the casserole dish with the vegetables.
7. Mix and enjoy!