Holiday shopping can be exhausting! It takes lots of energy to travel from store to store and remember the names of all those cousins needing gifts. Fuel yourself for the day with homemade protein bars!
Here are two recipes from Dr. DelRae Messer via the Patch site in Edina, Minn. for protein bars. Make a bunch so that you have a couple in the morning to start the day, then keep a few in your pocket so they are available just before you are about to collapse. And of course you need some to share with friends and family. Enjoy!
Recipe No. 1
- 4 scoops protein shake powder
- 1 1/2 cup ground oat or almond flour
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 chopped apple
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Stevia, cinnamon, and vanilla extract to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients thoroughly. The mixture should be the consistency of cake batter.
- Add more fit shake powder if too wet and add more almond milk if too dry.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Recipe No. 2
- 3 scoops protein shake powder
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup ground almonds or almond flour (I prefer grinding almonds in a blender to a flour consistency)
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed meal (I like bob's red mill)
- 1 cup dried fruit of your choice (I use organic dried cranberries,
- blueberries, and apricots)
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 3 egg whites (try to use more egg whites and less honey if you want less sugar)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil for baking dish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until thoroughly combined.
3. Place mixture in 8x8 Pyrex baking dish, coat with coconut oil.
4. Bake for 10 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.