Former Seekonk Selectman May Run Again
Michael Brady pulls papers for a possible run against incumbent Francis Cavaco.
Chair Francis Cavaco could have serious competition in his bid for a second full term on the Seekonk Board of Selectmen. Former Selectman Michael Brady pulled papers Wednesday for a potential run in the April election.
Brady served on the board for two terms from 2005 to 2011, and chose not to run for a third consecutive term. He is the current chair of the Seekonk Finance Committee and is a lieutenant in the Rehoboth Police Department.
Cavaco's seat is the only selectmen post being contested in April. The incumbent, who has been on the board since winning a special election in 2008, pulled papers in October. He returned them with at least 50 signatures of Seekonk residents earlier this month. Michael DelRosso, grandson of former Selectman Robert DelRosso, pulled papers last month, but has not returned them. The deadline to submit papers is in February.
Seekonk voters in April will also elect two people to fill the school committee seats previously occupied by Fran Creamer and David Quinn. They both recently resigned because they are leaving Seekonk. David Mullen and David Abbott were appointed last week by a panel that included school committee members and selectmen to fill the seats through April. Both said they did not plan to run in the election.
William Woods, a nurse teacher in the Cranston school district, has pulled papers for the school committee race and returned them. Those who have pulled papers but not returned them are former School Committee member Shane Halajko, former Selectman Don Kinniburgh and TV talk show host Jeffrey Starr Mararian. Kyle Rose, a high school teacher in Rhode Island, had applied for the appointment and told the panel last week that he planned to run in the election.