Accused Drunk Driving Killer Free on Bail
Jason Kwolek must return to court in November.
The Rhode Island man accused of killing a 24-year-old woman in an alleged drunk driving crash on North Main Street in Attleboro walked out of the local courthouse late Tuesday afternoon after posting $15,000 cash bail, various media reported.
Jason Kwolek, 32, of Pawtucket was arraigned on manslaughter and drunk driving charges. He must return to court in November, according to WHDH-TV in Boston.
Attleboro police said last week that Kwolek was drunk when his vehicle struck head-on with the car of Kaisha Guerrini, a North Attleborough resident and Norton native. Prosecutor Cindy Brackett spoke about the incident in court.
"An odor of alcohol was observed about [Kwolek] by ambulance personnel who came into contact with him," said Brackett, according to WHDH. "He was spoken to by police, did make some admissions to the police, the fact that he had been drinking."
Kwolek’s attorney, Kevin Reddington, told the station outside the courtroom that his client does not have a criminal record and feels bad about what happened.
"He's obviously very despondent, he's very upset, and he's a very nice man," said Reddington, according to WHDH. "Comes from a wonderful family."
Guerrini's friends and family were in the courtroom. They will attend the funeral of the National Guard sergeant, mother and college student on Friday in North Attleborough.